Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Facebook


Is it me or has facebook taken over the world? Seriously, I find myself reading people's status updates and these are people I havent talked to since high school, college or my last job and yet I know that they're having chicken chilli for dinner (holler katie!) or that they are sick with a cold. It's slightly stalkerish and I like it. Last night, I got a call from an old high school classmate-- she and I were friendly but not friends. She asks me to donate (ok fine) and then is like "I love reading your status updates." I did get a warm fuzzy knowing that she enjoys my creative status updates, for example-- last week it was: "I'm a failure Liz Lemon. I'm just going to give up and try this crystal meth I've been hearing so much about." I can't tell you how many random people I never talk to came out of the woodwork. One friend I havent talked to in ages I think thought I was seriously contemplating suicide based on his wall post back to me so I felt bad having up the funny 30 rock quote up there but whatever.


Then there's the not-so-cool side of facebook. Did you hear that someone recently killed his wife based on her changing her facebook status to single?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1078514/Husband-hacked-wife-death-meat-cleaver-changed-Facebook-status-single.html

Um clearly he was unbalanced but the whole thing is a little creepy.

I have one friend who changed her status to "in a relationship" and seriously she had like 10 people posting on her wall "who's the lucky guy?" etc etc. I saved my questions for her when I ran into her a bday party-- I asked about it and she's like oh yeah that was to get some creepy guy who was pretending to know me to go away.

While I enjoy stalking people from high school (and even elementary school in some cases) I have to wonder if it's all starting to get a little out of hand?


BTW: I still have not watched Real Housewives of Atlanta yet but Karla promises me it's a good one!!!!

3 comments:

Sara said...

we are friends in real life, facebook life, and blogger life. is that too much? should we cut back?

Anonymous said...

Getting killed for changing your facebook to single? Geeeez. I hadn't heard that! YIKES! My husband likes to re-tell the one story of a guy who strangled his wife for constant year after year nagging and the judge found it 'justifiable'. Hummmm I think it was in Europe a few years back.

Hey! How about joining in my 3 Word Thursdays today? Check it out on m' site.

Anonymous said...

hahaha i think if we were myspace friends/friendster friends etc etc THEN we may have to talk about cutting back